YIELD 10 to 12 servings.
- Grease or nonstick spray, for the pan
- 300 grams all-purpose flour (2 1/2 cups), more for the pan
- 10 grams baking powder (2 teaspoons)
- 3 grams baking soda (1/2 teaspoon)
- 3 grams salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- 2 grams cinnamon (1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 2 grams cardamom (1 teaspoon)
- 2 grams ground ginger (1 teaspoon)
- 3 large eggs
- 200 grams granulated sugar (1 cup)
- 1 1/4 cups olive oil
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons good quality honey (we recommend Bloom’s Orange Blossom honey), more to taste
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe yellow plums
- 1 tablespoon chopped lemon thyme leaves, or regular thyme leaves, plus branches for garnish
1. Place a rack in the middle of the oven; heat to 350 degrees. Generously grease and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan, including center tube.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
3. In another large bowl, whisk eggs well. Whisk in sugar, oil, 1 cup honey, the wine and the fresh ginger until well combined. Whisk in dry ingredients until smooth.
4. Pour batter into pan and bake until springy to the touch and a cake tester comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool for about 20 minutes, then unmold the cake and let cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, pit and quarter plums. In a medium bowl, toss plums with remaining 2 tablespoons honey and the thyme. Add more honey to taste and let macerate for at least 30 minutes. Serve cake sliced and garnished with plums and thyme branches.
Note: Measurements for dry ingredients are given by weight for greater accuracy. The equivalent measurements by volume are approximate.
- *Original recipe and photo courtesy of Melissa Clark