Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon lime zest, from one lime
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, from 2 limes
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1-1/2 square inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 1-1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (between 8-10), trimmed and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus more for garnishing platter
- Limes, sliced into wedges, for garnishing platter (optional)
- In a blender, combine the soy sauce, raw honey, oil, lime zest, lime juice, garlic, ginger, Sriracha and salt. Blend until completely smooth. Pour 1/2 cup of the marinade into a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve (this will be your sauce).
- Combine the chicken and remaining marinade in a large Ziplock bag and seal tightly. Place in a bowl (in case of leakage) and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and thread onto skewers, folding the pieces in half if they are long and thin.
- Be sure the grill is clean, then preheat to medium-high heat. To grease the grill, lightly dip a wad of paper towels in vegetable oil and, using tongs, carefully rub over the grates several times until glossy and coated. Grill the chicken kebabs, covered, until golden brown and cooked through, turning skewers occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes. (Keep an eye on it — if they are browning too quickly, turn the heat down.) Transfer the skewers to a platter and either drizzle the reserved marinade over top or pass alongside. Scatter the chopped cilantro over top and garnish the platter with lime wedges and cilantro sprigs, if desired.
*Recipe & Photo courtesy of Jennifer Segal